Yoga Teacher Training
Svastha Yoga of Krishnamacharya
Personal Well-being and 200hr Yoga Teacher Training Program
This program fulfills the International Yoga Alliance’s 200-hour certification requirements as well as the continuing education requirement for established teachers
Developed by international teachers A.G. and Indra Mohan of Svastha Yoga and Ayurveda, this training program offers an in depth study of the Art and Science of Yoga, based on the teachings of the legendary yogi – Sri T. Krishnamacharya.
First and foremost this program is about you. You will be empowered with practical, timeless knowledge and the tools to bring about transformation in your life – on all levels. Combined with your own developing practice, the knowledge you acquire throughout this program will equip you with the skill to guide others on a similar path.
- Theory of asana, paranayama, bandha & meditation
- In depth study of the 2nd chapter (sadhana pada) of the Yogasutras of Patanjali with an overview of the important concepts from Chapters 1, 3 & 4
- An overview of Ayurveda and it’s relationship with yoga
- Basic applied anatomy and physiology related to the practice of asana and pranayama
- Origin and role of different labels of yoga – hatha, raja, bhakti etc
- Chanting & the use of sound
- Core asanas essential for health and well being – the classical asana, practical modifications and correct vinyasa krama to enable safe and effective practice
- Fundamentals of movement and breathing in asana practice
- Preparation and balancing
- Common variations
- Vinyasa Krama (sequencing )
Training to Teach:
- Designing practices for teaching individuals
- Designing practices for teaching group classes
- Delivering your class with confidence
- Teaching ethics
- Managing your yoga business
On successful completion of this program, students will have:
• An understanding and appreciation of the principles of the science and art of yoga and an introduction to ayurvedic principles.
• Developed a comprehensive knowledge of the theory of asanas, pranayama and meditation.
• Gained skill and expertise in the practice of asanas, pranayama and meditation.
• Acquired the ability to teach yoga in a safe, effective and confident manner.
• Acquired the tools to enact positive changes in their own lives and to provide the same guidance and consulting for others.
• The opportunity to be a part of a community of people who are similarly committed to a path of personal growth and transformation
Svastha Yoga New Zealand has a mentoring program to support participants of the Yoga Teacher Training Program in their transition from students to teachers. Graduates who show an aptitude and passion for teaching will be offered a place in this program, culminating in teaching beginners level classes at Svastha Yoga New Zealand.
Developing a Personal Wellness Plan
A standard group practice is an entry point to the practice of yoga, however to truly experience the benefits of yoga, the practice must be personalized for the student’s needs and goals. A unique feature of Sri Krishnamacharya’s teaching was the method designing a yoga practice optimized for an individual.
During the training you will meet with the Director of Training for 2 one-to-one sessions to develop your personal practice.
Assessment methods used include:
• Direct observation
• Self Assessment
• Feedback from peers
• Written assignments
• Verbal questioning
• Journal Diary
• Practical Demonstrations
Participants are assessed not only by the program director, but also by your peers and self evaluation.
Certification and Continuing Education
The above program fulfills Yoga Alliance’s 200-hour certification requirements as well as the continuing education requirement for established teachers.
Program Structure,Timing & Dates
The program consists of:
Direct Contact Hours with the Training Director:
- Initial 3 day immersion (Saturday – Monday)
- 7 weekend intensives
- Final 3 day immersion (Friday – Sunday)
8.00am – 5.00pm daily
Weekend 1: 17th – 19th May, 2014
Weekend 2: 14th – 15th June, 2014
Weekend 3: 5th – 6th July, 2014
Weekend 4: 1st – 2nd August, 2014
Weekend 5: 30th – 31st August, 2014
Weekend 6: 20th – 21st September,2014
Weekend 7: 11h – 12th October, 2014
Weekend 8: 7th – 8th November, 2014
Weekend 9: 12th – 14th December,2014
2 one hour private classes by appointment with a program teacher to develop and refine your personal practice.
A regular home practice and self directed study will establish a discipline to reinforce the teachings.
Self Assessment and Journal Study:
Personal awareness and reflection documented in a journal will help to integrate the teachings and experiential learning.
Additional Group Classes:
Participants should attend at least one studio class per week as a part of self directed study
Yoga for Body Breath and Mind – A.G. Mohan
Yoga Therapy – A.G. Mohan, Indra Mohan and Ganesh Mohan
Krishnamacharya: His Life and Teachings – A.G. Mohan and Ganesh Mohan
nb: cost of texts is not included in the course fee
Total cost of the program – $4,000 inclusive of GST and:
2 x 3 day Intensives
7 x 2 day Intensives
2 Private Classes with the program director
Training Manual and additional handouts
A $250.00 non refundable deposit is required on registration
Payment for attending studio classes at Svastha Yoga – these are available casually, by concession card or membership.
Tuition fees are due 6 weeks prior to commencement of program. If you cancel within 2 weeks of the start date 50% of the fees are refundable – no refund if cancelled within 7 days of commencement.
How to Apply
Contact Barbara Coley, the Program Director on 021 170 2640
Barbara will arrange a time to meet with you to discuss your goals, tell you more about the program as a whole and answer any questions you may have.
The program will be conducted at Svastha Yoga New Zealand, 10 Galatos St, Newton, Auckland 1010
Attending The Svastha Yoga Teacher Training Program with Barbara Coley was possibly one of the best decisions of my life. Not only has it given me the opportunity to share with others some of the wonderful knowledge and skills I have learned; it has also given me the tools to create a transformation, both in my own practice and also, on a deeper level, the many other facets of my daily life.Mia Silverman
In 2013 I completed the Svastha Yoga teacher training course with Barbara Coley. I had anticipated to gain full understanding and practise of how to teach a yoga class, how to sequence various postures and more knowledge about the benefits and potential drawbacks of postures for future students of mine. I can now say, I have received all of this plus an introduction to the origin of yoga, learnt about the relevant sutras and most importantly for me, I have had an affirmation about being on a yoga path, wishing to learn far more in the future and continue to strive to make all that I have learnt, and all that I have yet to learn, part of my daily life. While I am not currently teaching, I am very pleased that I undertook the teacher training because of the personal growth and knowledge I have gained from it, as well as having the potential to be teaching again in the future.Tanja Blinkhorn
It is a great privilege for me to be able to take part in a Yoga Teacher Training Program that is taught in such a special, unique and intimate setting by a wonderful teacher.Zoe Wilson